5 WAYS TO EFFECTIVELY CLEAN THE BATHROOM
Bathroom is a facility every home has and cleaning it is sometimes a struggle. To find better and effective ways to clean the bathroom is what this post is about. We would be discussing five important and effective ways we can clean our bathroom.
1. SHUT OFF THE WATER
The first thing you want to do when preparing to remove stains from your toilet is to shut off the main water valve located behind the toilet on the wall. Turn it clockwise until it stops. Then use a bucket or cup to remove as much water as you can from the toilet bowl.
If you’re using a brush, use one with nylon bristles. The old-style ones with wire bristles will scratch and damage the porcelain. Or, you might even consider using a pumice stone instead of a brush — it’s slightly abrasive, but not enough to damage the porcelain. However, if you go this route, make sure there’s a bit of water in the toilet to work with. The water helps prevent the pumice from scratching the porcelain.
2. CLEANING THE TOILET
Toilet cleaning can be easy with the right materials. Equip yourself with a toilet brush, some rubber gloves, a liquid or powder-based toilet cleaner, a cleaning sponge, and some disinfectant spray, and let’s get down to business.
- After putting on your gloves, flush the toilet to moisten the inside of the bowl.
- Apply your toilet cleaner to the edges of the bowl, making sure to get a generous amount under the rim.
- Scrub down the whole bowl, including the underside of the rim, with your toilet brush. Follow the instructions on your toilet cleaner – for tough stains, you may want to leave the toilet cleaner for a few minutes.
- Flush the toilet again, and repeat steps 2 and 3 until satisfied with the condition.
- Using your disinfectant spray and sponge, swab the seat, lid, and the rest of the toilet. Either wipe the whole surface down with a clean cloth or wait for the disinfectant to dry before use.
- Remember, never mix acidic toilet cleaners with bleach-based sprays, or vice versa! Always follow the instructions on the labels of any toilet cleaning product.
3. CLEANING THE WASHBASIN
The washbasin is usually the easiest thing in the bathroom to clean, and requires only a few specific materials. You’ll need a couple of micro-fiber cloths, a good multi-purpose cleaner, and – if you’re in an area prone to limescale – you can use a limescale removal product or think about using some vinegar. Bleaching liquids work very well in cleaning porcelain and ceramic materials.
- First, remove any objects in or around the basin.
- Next, fill the sink with hot water. This will shift the bulk of the dirt and loosen the rest.
- Empty the sink, and apply any specific cleaning agents you want to use, including your vinegar or other products to remove limescale.
- Scrub the whole basin down thoroughly. If you need to remove any odors, apply some baking soda and then wipe it off or rinse it away.
- Rinse out the basin and wipe it down, either with multi-surface wipes or your micro-fiber cloth.
4. CLEANING THE SHOWER, TILES AND BATH
Showers and baths require roughly the same treatment, and will introduce you to the wonderful world of tile cleaning as well. For the shower floor and bathtub, you can use natural acidic agents like vinegar and lemon juice. However, be careful not to use these or any acidic cleaners on tiled surfaces, as they may eat away at your grouting.
- Remove all products from the shower or bath before beginning.
- Scrub the floor of the shower or bathtub itself, using vinegar or another cleaner to remove limescale, and continue until the surface is clean to your satisfaction.
- Rinse the surface.
- Don’t forget about the drain – if your drain is clogged, try using a specialized product or a combination of baking soda and vinegar to unblock the drain.
- Use a multi-purpose cleaner to wipe down your tiles. Anything too acidic will ruin your grouting and require expensive repairs later.
5. CLEANING THE SHOWER CURTAIN AND WINDOW
Your shower curtain is another important bathroom element you don’t want to miss out on cleaning. Before embarking on the first step above, you must remove your shower curtain and soak in warm water with the proper detergent. After you are done following all the steps above, wash your shower curtain and hang out.
By now your bathroom must be all shades of shiny!
Additional Bathroom Cleaning Tips. With the main elements of your bathroom clean and tidy, now it’s time to clean the other areas of your bathroom.
- Scrub or mop the bathroom floor with disinfectant. If you don’t feel like doing this on your hands and knees, dampen a towel and shuffle across the floor with your feet.
- Take stock of everything in your bathroom cabinet, and throw out any empty boxes.
- Empty and disinfect your bin with a disinfectant.
For the best effects, you should repeat the whole process once every week or two. This way, cleaning your bathroom will be quick and easy, as stains or dirt will not have the chance to build up!
Have a fun weekend!